Saturday, August 4, 2012

Yellow Means Choice

“My son, preserve sound judgment and discernment, do not let them out of your sight” Proverbs 3:21
 

My Gramma – yes, the same Gramma that made me try everything when I was little – once told me, “Yellow means choice.” She was referring to the stoplights at an intersection, but maybe this simple philosophy applies to other aspects of our lives as well.  How many of us really “mentally” stop to accept a yellow light or sign? Probably not too many.  Most of us, in a quick selfish act, make split-second decisions to run the light. Or we have become so familiar with our surroundings that we fail to even acknowledge the yellow sign along the road.
 

I know I am guilty of that.  I’ve been the one to speedily asses the intersection and push my luck to cross through as the yellow light shifts to red.  I think that in my quick evaluation of the situation, I have enough information to know best – to know I will be safe.  But how much of the situation can I really see?  In that split-second decision, it’s foolish to think that I’ve taken into consideration everything at stake.  If yellow means choice, what kind of choices am I making?
 

I think God continually uses yellow lights in our intersections of life.  Toxic relationships and selfish addictions are like yellow blinking lights, prompting us to slow down and exercise caution before proceeding.  Poor financial judgments emit an amber glow, advising us to deliberately slow down and think before we continue the transaction.  Each blazes yellow indicating that we still have a choice.


We can choose to ignore the signs and blast our way through life, or we can employ enough patience to take our foot off the accelerator and brake for the Truth.  And sometimes, when we take our foot off of the accelerator, we do “break”.  But God is right there, waiting to help us pick up the pieces.


I think God’s yellow signals are there to alert us, “PAY ATTENTION  - YOU NEED TO MAKE A CHOICE HERE!”  And then He leaves it up to us.


Dear friend, guard Clear Thinking and Common Sense with your life;
don't for a minute lose sight of them.
They'll keep your soul alive and well,
they'll keep you fit and attractive.
You'll travel safely,
you'll neither tire nor trip.
You'll take afternoon naps without a worry,
you'll enjoy a good night's sleep.
No need to panic over alarms or surprises,
or predictions that doomsday's just around the corner,
Because God will be right there with you;
he'll keep you safe and sound. (Proverbs 3:21 – 26, The Message)


Dear Father,
Thank you for your Spirit inside me.  Thank you for alerting me when I might need to make a decision, and help me to realize my decisions often affect more than myself. Please guard my heart, and help me to preserve sound judgment and discernment.  I ask all of this in Your Holy Name.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment