Friday, September 7, 2012

The Council That Counsels

“Without good direction, people lose their way;
the more wise counsel you follow, the better your chances.” Proverbs 11:14 (The Message)

Although the response from them may not always make you comfortable, and sometimes you wish they hadn’t opened their big mouth at all, there is nothing more valuable than a group of godly friends from whom you can seek advice.

There are a few friends I have that are my “Council”.  Most of those beautiful ladies are in my Life Group.  Every Thursday night we gather under one roof (with the most amazing hostess!) and we share our experiences of life together. But more than “share”, we do life together.  These are the ones who know most things about us that others do not…and love us anyway.  These are the ones that possess the courage to tell us when we are wrong, when others would cower away.  These are the ones that are more than friends…they are family.

Last night, was unofficially “Ladies’ Night” (unofficially, because it wasn’t planned, but just happened out that way), but I think God had that night planned just for us – sorry guys, but I think it’s true!  I myself was in a foul mood for no reason at all (anyone with me?), another one of us had just experienced a mini-tidal wave in her basement, another sister was being held captive by the clutches of life’s anxieties, and another was faced with the challenges of where to go when a chapter of life closes, and I’m sure my other sisters there also had trials they were facing.  And yet we were all there.   Doing this thing called life together.

I cannot tell you the peace that comes from knowing you have a group of friends you can trust – I’m afraid that is something that can only come from experiencing it yourself.  But to know you have a place where you can go to just be yourself – broken and sinful – and still be accepted, must be the closest thing to Jesus’ embrace that we can feel on this side of heaven. And I can tell you, too, I don’t doubt at all Who was responsible for putting our little Ohana Group together.  There is such a wonderful blend of wisdom, patience, and love between all of us, I know it could have only been orchestrated by The One Who Loves us more.

C. S. Lewis states, “The next best thing to being wise oneself is to live in a circle of those who are.”  The brother knew what he was talking about.  The ESV says, “Where there is no guidance, a people falls, but in an abundance of counselors there is safety.”  I am not wise by any means, but I know how to recognize the Spirit of God and the safety of His Council.  And He is certainly reigning in the hearts of these amazing people.  I would be lost without them. 

Dear Heavenly Father,
I thank you so much for this wonderful group of people.  Thank you for orchestrating our group and allowing us to share this season of life together.  Please keep your hand and Spirit upon us.  Thank you for hearing my prayer.
In Your Name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment