Sunday, June 24, 2012

The Pursuit


“But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness.”  1 Tim. 6:11


A short while ago, I got caught up in a search for our “forever” (retirement) home.  My husband had recently retired from the military, and I was anxious for something permanent.  Now mind you, we have lived in the same town for the past eleven years, and the same house for the last five of those years.  It wasn’t that I didn’t like our current home, on the contrary, aside from our lousy kitchen (and I mean lousy), our home was that…home. 

     For whatever reason one day, I decided to search the internet for our “dream” home…and I found it.  It was really a beautiful home, and still in the price range of what we could afford – without stretching our dollars.  My ever faithful husband, politely followed along as I made plans to look at the home, and have the realtor complete a market assessment on ours.  After evaluating everything, we could have made “the move”, but something – someone – inside of me simply said, “wait.” 

     You see, all the while, as I was searching and planning, I had this inkling that I really didn’t need a new home.  And the problem with this is that when you want something, but in your heart know you don’t need it, you go through some internal turmoil.  You begin to make excuses as to why you “deserve” it, and you look for ways to justify your actions.  Suddenly, you begin chasing after things, that in the end, don’t matter in the grand scheme of life. 

     Please don’t get me wrong, I am not against having nice things – when you can afford them – but something changes inside us when we pursue “niceties” over necessities.  When we start dreaming and scheming of ways to a better life, we miss the opportunity of the best life in front of us.  God reminds us – daily – that He is aware of our needs and that He will provide for us.  We’re are the ones that often fail to see His daily provisions. 

     As I fell on this verse today, I realized how often God calls us to seek HIM.  To run after Him.  To desire Him, above all else.  Pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness.  I am personally drawn to the word “endurance” – patience, stamina, continued existence.  God encourages us to pursue endurance.  “Stay with Me.” He cheers us on in this race of life.  We are the ones that must determine what – Who – it is we are racing for.

Dear Father,
Thank you for your constant presence.  Thank you, Holy Spirit, for your words of wisdom whispered to my soul.  You help me to see what is important and how you provide.  Please help me to flee from those things that appeal to the eyes and deceive the heart.  Keep my eyes on You, and guide my steps so others may see what matters… Your presence in my life.
In Your Holy Name,
Amen

1 comment:

  1. Oh, by the way, after much discussion and prayer, we decided to stay in our current home. :) But we did update the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete