Thursday, July 12, 2012

I Will Sing, Sing, Sing!

“My heart is steadfast, O God; I will sing and make music with all my soul.”  Psalm 108:1


Have you ever belted out the lyrics (or at least what you thought were the lyrics) to a song while driving in your car?  I mean, all out air drums, power mic, scrunched up face – the kind of singing where you’re not just singing the song, you are the song!  And even if you haven’t ever held your own one-man-band solo concert in a car on the highway, you have to admit, when you see someone else doing it, you have to laugh.  Trust me, I’ve seen people’s reactions to my amazing rendition of Air Supply’s, Making Love Out of Nothing At All, at stoplights.  When you see “crazies” like me, harmonizing (I’d like to think that it sounds that way) in their cars, you have to think to yourself, “Dude! That girl (or guy) is really jammin’!”  (What’s even better is when you have the same radio song on in your car and you know exactly what they’re jammin’ to!)


I love those times when I am that carefree, I just let loose and enjoy the moment.  I think that’s the kind of carefree singing and music making David is talking about.  The kind where we don’t really care what others think, because the joy in our soul is so overwhelming, it releases all inhibitions and makes us want to sing.  I think God likes those moments, too.


I know it’s difficult to be joyful when things seem so glum around you.  But I think those are the times when God is singing over us – watching over us, and loving us through it.  Paul writes in Galatians, “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.” (5:22).  Oh, what joy to know the love of the Lord!


I doubt that Jesus queues up his iPod with some cool jams – that’s what the angels are for!  But I bet there is nothing sweeter to His ears than hearing our songs of worship and praise, and our cries for mercy and rescue.  Even if you can’t carry a tune, you have to know this…it all sounds beautiful to Him. 


Dear Heavenly Father,
Thank You for the gift of joy!  Please help me to be carefree - to lay my burdens down and lift Your name up.  Help me to let loose and simply enjoy the moment knowing You are truly in control.  Help me to stop worrying about what others think, so I can sing, sing, sing and make music just for You.
In Your wonderful, amazing name,
Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment