Saturday, July 28, 2012

What's It Taste Like? by Kimi Miller

“Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him.” Psalm 34:8

When I was little, my Gramma was always “encouraging” me to try new foods.  Luckily, I had two older sisters to try it first, so I could ask them, “What’s it taste like?”  (Not like their facial expressions and gag reflexes wouldn’t give it away…), but most times, I ended up really liking it.  Older now, I appreciate my Gramma’s encouragement to try  new things…hence my reason for an overflowing plate of EVERYTHING at our life group social the other night!  How will I know if I like something or not, if I don’t try it?


But recently, I discovered something very new to me, and very refreshing.  REAL relationships with real people.  I have mentioned before how God is persuading me to trust HIM and love people, and folks, I gotta tell you, this is the best thing I’ve tasted so far!  Through trusting Jesus, I have found a freedom I’ve never known.  And while I thought my problem was in trusting others, my real issue was trusting myself.   


For those that have known me, it was probably easy to see through my façade.  I often hid behind a plastic smile and cautioned eyes.  I was hesitant to allow anyone too close, because I was afraid if they knew who I was, they wouldn’t like me.  So, I kept everyone at arm’s length. 


But last year, I reached a point where I just couldn’t do it anymore.  And I fell…hard.  Not physically, but emotionally and spiritually.  I had reached the point where I didn’t want to be this “fake” person anymore.  I wanted to know what real was.  And I wanted to feel it.  And I wanted to be it.   


So, I did what most of us do when we are feeling “out of sorts”…I isolated myself.  I disengaged from most of my “church” activities and friends and acquaintances…and family.  But, I walked down this road because I knew that’s where God was leading me.  You see, I had put all of these distractions around me, to keep me from coming too close to the one I was really afraid of…God.  I mean, I knew I was this broken mess, but how could anyone – even God – put me back together and use me for His kingdom?


I knew in my heart it was time to talk to God…about everything.  And not only was it time for me to talk with Him, but most important it was time for me to listen.  I realized I couldn’t hear God, because the noise around me was too loud.  I needed to take some time to just sit in His lap and hear what He wanted to whisper into my heart.  The Bible tells us that, “Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed” (Luke 5:16); I knew this was one of those times when God was asking me to do the same.    


Over the last ten months, although it has been challenging at times, God has transformed my mind…and my heart.  As I began to trust God with small things, He would often reciprocate in the form of love.  He opened my eyes to see people as He sees them – fleshy human beings designed with a hole in their hearts that only He can fill – people longing and looking to be accepted and loved…people just like me. 


As I began to really taste what God wanted me to try, I realized what I had been missing out on…a whole smorgasbord of life!  Through the work He is doing in my heart, God is revealing to me how truly treasured I am to Him.  He has surrounded me with an amazing life group – which really feels more to me like a family.  And He’s opened my eyes to see that what I was looking for all along, was right in front of me – a wonderful church community that will love me and support me in my calling. 

As I rest in His assurance, I see now that God offers us a “taste”, because He knows we will be back for more. 


Oh yes, God is that good!  Taste and see for yourself!  For blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him.


Hi Daddy,
Thank you for encouraging me to “taste” Your goodness!  You always have the stuff kids like me enjoy, but even better – what we need.  Please continue the work You have started in me, so others will look at me and only see You.  I love You.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment